Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Helping the homeless makes me a better person

It is only November 5th and so far, this month I have met around 10 homeless people! I run a lot of errands and always grab goodies for the homeless on my way out the door. Where I live, I am bound to see a few a day!

What do I grab on my way out the door?? Oh, it's so simple!

I pack a bag full of bottled water, granola bars, packaged crackers (like shown below), and hand-me-down hoodies and jackets. There we have it, my journey on my way to running daily errands begins!


Last week I met a group of people under a bridge. Let me tell you this wild story!

I ran my daily errands and stopped at a park to feed my 2 month old. I wasn't too far away from my 2nd graders school so I decided to just head to her school and wait in line a little early.

I went a route that I wasn't used to, of course me and my bad sense of direction I took the wrong exit and had to turn around. And was a I ever so glad that I did! It's funny how things work out. If that wouldn't have happened I wouldn't have met the group of hungry people under the bridge! 


Meet Omar, the man above. This man actually got a little emotional when I gave. You can sorta tell in the photo. He's a big sweetheart and told me all about his day and how hungry he was. When I saw him get emotional I did too. Don't worry though, I held it together until I drove off! This shows the realness of what we are doing here! 


Say "hello" to Gloria above! Oh my, this woman seemed to be a selfless person. She appeared to be more concerned about her friends than herself. She kept telling me, that her friends are hungry. It's funny how the ones who don't have much are the most generous people! 

The others in the group wished to remain anonymous. The group was grateful to my giving. 

Also, remember, if you see a group and you're alone but you want to give, make sure you are where people can see you and it is daylight :) 


The man above wished for his name not be mentioned. I met him off 635. He was holding a rather interesting sign. It said "When was the last time you helped someone? Would you help me today? Homeless and anything helps". Yes, I did read all of that ;) Now, THAT sign is something for everyone to keep in mind! I love it! I handed him a hoodie and some snacks and waters. He told me he would keep my family in his prayers. How nice :) When I drove away and saw him eating what I gave him, I felt the most wonderful feeling in the world. 

Jr-

No picture. This man under a bridge in the rain. He was wearing a ripped up pleather jacket. I handed him a warm hooded jacket, snacks and waters. He seemed as though his spirit had been broken (as most of them are) but this was different. The look in his eyes told me he's scared of people. He's young. Probably mid 20's. 

He informed me that a place feeds dinner to the homeless once a week. He also told me where some others in need hang around at. He even metioned that people don't want to give. 

I hope we can inspire others to give. It truly makes your heart happy.

Carol-

She didn't have hair done, so no picture for her! Maybe next time tough, she says :P
You have GOT to hear this! 

It has been a rainy week in these parts. She was hanging under a bridge to get dry. Covered up in a raggedy blanket. I pulled up and said "excuse me ma'm" and she turned to me. I had snacks and bottle water for her. She jumped and said "oh yes" with her eyes lit up. I talked to her a few seconds and drove away. Something told me to go back and give her my jacket I was wearing. SO, I did. But, when I looked in the backseat I saw a sleeping bag that someone had donated.. I thought "that's perfect"! It's water proof and warm! So, I handed it to her and she kept thanking me. Then, guess what?

She explained to me that she lent her coat out and they never returned it and now she doesn't have one. Can  you believe that?! This lady barly has anything and SHE lent her only coat to someone. What a kind and beautiful heart. 

I couldn't help myself! When I got home, my fiance Steven took care of the kids while I drove back to where she was to give her a coat. When I got there she was very leary of me. She was confused as to why someone was being so nice to her. She even asked me why. She kept kissing her jesus cross necklace and blessing me. Wow. 

I want to remind you ALL that I stay incredibly busy. I am a mother of two, a home maker, a college student, and I am not rich by any means. I do these things with what is donated to us, what I have in my kitchen, laying around, and on my way to run errands. My point stating this, is that YOU too can help ones in need! It doesn't take much time or money to do so. 

To buy $1 raffle tickets for the drawings in December buy on PayPal to                                                                        sbfriedman05@gmail.com

Reminder! Money goes to buy Christmas for the homeless and there are going to be many winners in December's drawings! 







No comments:

Post a Comment